On 18-20 October 2016, the UN SDG Action Campaign jointly with the UN Brussels Team facilitated the setting up and coordination of a SDG Action Hub in the European Parliament in Brussels to celebrate UN Day.
The SDG Action Hub provided a space for European Parliamentarians and other relevant decision-makers and experts to experience first hand innovative approaches to SDG communication and advocacy such as virtual reality films on SDG issues and the MY World survey which provides citizen generated data on SDG implementation and monitoring.
The UN SDG Action Campaign and the UN Brussels Team also interviewed members of the European Parliament and other visitors and capture their views on how to implement the Goals in Europe, as well as to discuss potential ways of collaboration to ensure public opinion in Europe is aware of the Goals and takes part in the implementation efforts. Visitors to the SDG Action Hub included:
- Vice-President MEP Graf Lambsdorff (ALDE);
- Chair of the DEVE Committee Linda McAvan (S&D);
- Chair of the Environment Committee Giovanni La Via (EPP);
- MEP Charles Goerens (ALDE);
- MEP Elly Schlein (S&D);
- MEP Arne Lietz (S&D);
- MEP Liisa Jaakonsaari (S&D);
- MEP Lefteris Christoforou (EPP);
- MEP Ricardo Serrão Santos (S&D);
- Vice-Chair of the Subcommittee on Security and Defence Afzal Khan (S&D)
- Jeffrey Sachs, Special Advisor to UN SG on SDGs
- Pascal Lamy, former Director-General of the WTO